Monday, October 3, 2011

The United Nations of Vintage

UN Week has mercifully ended in New York - and if you have ever had the misfortune of being in New York when the General Assembly meets, you will know exactly what I mean: lots of traffic and lots of road rage; not a pretty picture nor a very quiet one!

But I am feeling very United Nations of vintage fashion this week at RARE vintage.  We've got New York, London, Milan and Paris covered.  I think I will start in New York...

I am in LA to see a big collection of Chanel as well as a bit of R & R with my children so it seems appropriate to start RARE vintage's UN Fashion Week with a great American designer who showed in New York but designed in Los Angeles: James Galanos.  I am so happy to see a new generation of  women discovering Galanos.  I don't love all of Galanos - some of it can be a little dowdy but when he is good, he is very, very good.  

I think this beautiful black and brown Galanos gown is as good as it gets.  The fabric and the workmanship is superb and very couture.  AND the gown is sexy & fun & unique.  It has a slightly 1940s, madcap Carmen Miranda minus the fruit vibe.  I am sure that you have noticed there has been a lot of fruit on the runways recently and on of course on Anna dello Russo's head.



The front plunges seductively low and the waist is cinched with a black silk bow.


Galanos Gown in Black and Brown.  Size 4/6

Why don't you wear it with... okay so speaking of Anna dello Russo and her very whimsical head gear, I have fallen madly in love with a, new to me, English hat designer,  Victoria Grant.  I actually think this little chapeau would look amazing with black tuxedo pants, a slinky white top and a white tuxedo jacket or our Galanos gown.  Or for lunch at Shutters on the Beach.  So?!  I'm from New York!

Victoria Grant Midnight Kiss Hat.  Available at Colette.

PURCHASE

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails